Today, businesses need to establish their brand identity on the internet to attract potential customers. It results in better brand awareness and more conversions. The most significant benefit of establishing your business on the internet is that you can reach even the remotest customer.
You can showcase your products and services to a wide range of audiences, including the organizations. And the best way to reach more customers is through search engine results. There are many search engines (Google, Bing, etc.) that crawl and index every website on the internet and rank them accordingly.
The process of increasing the chances of getting high ranks in SERPs is called ‘Search Engine Optimization.’ It makes your website faster, usable, and informative. The world of SEO may seem ‘unpredictable’, but once you understand the basics, you can steer your way to the top. So, here are 5 ways to optimize on-page SEO to maximize your ROI:
1. Ace Website Copy
Website copy is the content that you write and publish on your website. This is the most important and critical part of search engine optimization. It is the actual information that your customers or audience wants to read.
Also, search engines rank your website as per the quality of the content it has. It doesn’t mean that throwing keywords here and there in the blog post will make you rank higher.
Search engines like Google are becoming smart enough to filter out only the valuable content. As the first part of the SEO strategy, you need to create informative and original content. It would help if you researched the relatable keywords and then stitch content around it. There are no hard and fast rules about the keyword density in a blog post or article. But it would help if you used them so that they occur naturally. Also, you should start including pillar pages in your content.
It’s a long-form of in-depth content that covers every aspect of your niche/post, typically 3500 + words with a lot of internal links.
There are two forms of content that businesses generally create are:
● Long-form content is the one that has over 2000 words in it and covers everything related to the topic. Publishing this type of content is a great way to rank well in SERPs (search engine results page).
● Short-form content ranges anywhere between 500-1000 words. It generally covers the micro-niche topic that gives the information in a few words.
2. Title Tags
The title tag is the first thing that a user will see after stumbling upon your link on the results page. It is like a first impression that gives ideas about the full blog. Only the most relatable and clear title tags will gain the maximum clicks. This means that if you don’t optimize your title tags, you are losing many customers.
Thus, you should work on your title tags to get better rankings and online visibility. Here are some of the best practices to remember while finalizing the title tags:
- The title tag should be relevant to the content of the page/blog. It should contain the targeted keyword.
- Have one title tag for every page on your website.
- Try to create a title tag that is 70-80 in characters. It is not a restriction but a general rule to follow for better visibility in the results page. Your title tag shouldn’t be too short either.
3. Meta Description
The meta description is the content located just below that title tag in the search engine results page. The key difference between the title tag and meta description is the information they convey. While the title tag gives the idea about the topic, the meta description tells readers about the essence of the article or page.
Meta descriptions might not affect the search engine ranking directly. But it affects the click-through rate (CTR) that, in turn, improves the rankings. That’s why it is crucial to write a meta description that accurately represents the content.
Here are some of the best practices to follow when writing meta description:
- Each article/blog/page must have its own meta description.
- The meta description should contain the targeted keywords placed appropriately.
- The maximum length for desktop is about 320 characters (1750 px) while for mobile it is 230 characters (1350px).
Preferably use a call-to-action sentence at last, e.g. Discover, Experience, Find out How, etc.
4. Link Building
Links that redirect readers to a specific page/blog or your website are called backlinks. The process of building or gaining links that redirect back to the content on your site is called link building. Its importance in SEO is utmost. In fact, a case study by Ahrefs suggests that more backlinks mean a higher ranking in SERPs.
However, this doesn’t mean that every ‘type’ of the backlink will boost your website rankings. For instance, backlinks from high authority domains (DA) have more potential to rank your content. Here are some tips to generate backlinks.
- Online platforms/websites that accept guest blogging to help you get a backlink.
- Create original and highly research content so that others will link back to your website.
- Consider White Label Link Building Services to get high DA backlinks.
5. Optimize website for speed and mobile usability
The loading speed of your website may not directly affect the ranking of your website. But if readers are exiting your website due to its slow loading speed, it is a red flag for Google. Many search engines (e.g. Google) take it as negative feedback and rank the website lower.
According to statistics, about 51.92% of global website traffic came from mobile phones in the first quarter of 2020. This means that search engines will take the mobile optimization of the website into account. Google prefers those websites which are optimized for mobile and have little mobile usability issues.
Here is how to optimize your website for speed and mobile:
- Run a site audit and determine the pages that take more time to load.
- Compress on-page images to reduce the load on the server.
- Design your website according to mobile usability.
SEO is a free marketing tactic that you can implement from day one. If done properly, Google and other search engines will rank your website higher. It is a perfect strategy for startups where the expenses are less. That is why it is crucial to leverage the power of SEO by following the above tips to get maximum ROI.